hm, first of all, I’m sorry if my writing is not good enough. I’m still learning. The best way to learn is by doing it right? I hope the wrong tenses don’t make you (reader) got the wrong interpretation.
bucket list, what is that? The first time I heard about this words I got an interpretation it has something to do with flowers. Flowers? How could? Well, first, as an Indonesian, my vocabulary is not that much. And second, I think that I had ever heard from a movie about a bucket of flower ( I don’t know if this was the word), but yeah, that’s how I got that interpretation..
Back to bucket list. After I googled it, I knew that my definition that I mentioned earlier was totally wrong. This is the right one. Bucket list is a wish list of all the goals you want to achieve, dreams you want to fulfill and life-experiences you desire to experience before you die.
So, what is the point of creating a bucket list? When I was browsing, I got this interesting objective from a site : http://celestinechua.com
” The objective of creating a bucket list isn’t to instill some kind of a race against time or to create aversion towards death. I don’t see our existence to be limited to just our physical years on earth – I see our physical lifespan is but a short speck of our entire existence which spans across an infinite amount of time. The whole point of a bucket list is to maximize every moment of our existence and live our life to the fullest. It’s a reminder of all the things we want to achieve in our time here, so that instead of pandering our time in pointless activities, we are directing it fully toward what matters to us. ”
That site also give us a hint in order to create our own. It’s said start writing down what comes to mind as you read these questions:
- What if you were to die tomorrow? What would you wish you could do before you die?
- What have you always wanted to do but have not done yet?
- What will you do if you have unlimited time, money and resources?
- Any countries, places or locations you want to visit?
- What are your biggest goals and dreams?
- What do you want to see in person?
- What achievements do you want to have?
- What experiences do you want to have / feel?
- Are there any special moments you want to witness?
- What activities or skills do you want to learn or try out?
- What are the most important things you can ever do?
- What would you like to say/do together with other people? People you love? Family? Friends?
- Are there any specific people you want to meet in person?
- What do you want to achieve in the different areas: Social, Love, Family, Career, Finance, Health (Your weight, Fitness level), Spiritual?
- What do you need to do to lead a life of the greatest meaning?
After I red that questions and answer it a little bit, I come up with my own bucket list, like:
- bungee jumping from a bridge in Europe
- jumping from an aeroplane
- scuba diving in Bunaken
- going to Bora-bora island
- driving a ferrary at full speed
When I read it again, it seems normal to me. I mean, it’s something that can be done..
This afternoon, when I had a bible studying with my mentor (in indonesian it called abang PA), I told him about it. And then we discuss it together. From what he said, I think I got something. A new way of seeing that bucket list I thing.
Bucket list, it’s all about this worldly things. It’s all about gaining pleasure, satisfaction, and something like that. Does it give you a completeness after you doing it. Well, maybe yes, maybe no. The point is, do you carry that pleasure or that satisfaction or what ever feeling that you had after you completed one of the lists when you die.. I don’t think so.
When we die, we carry nothing but out soul. All the worldly things will be left behind. Then what, it’s seem that the list means nothing. But, how if we change the list into something different. It’s not about ourselves getting pleasure or satisfaction, but it’s more like selfless. I still couldn’t find my own list, but I know that it is there. Something big, something about His works and what He asked us to do. Something that we carry till we join Him.
So, what that I wanna said was it’s great to have our own bucket list, no matter it’s selfish or selfless. But, it far more greater if your bucket list give you something that you could carry till the day you meet Him in His kingdom.
-this is just my opinion. I’m sorry for any mistaken that I’ve made-